Eli – Innovation Day 2024 Reflection

In this year’s Innovation Day project, we were tasked to use design thinking to create and test a sled while attempting to learn about and implement as many of the six simple machines as possible. We ended up naming our sled “The Glacial Glider”. Before starting Innovation Day, I was very excited that I was going to be building a hopefully fully functional sled. Still, I was mainly nervous about brainstorming and getting innovative and creative ideas to add simple machines to it. I believe that the main reason our project glowed was because of how much information it had and how well-written it was, I also made a short video advertising the sled which I think was well-needed. If I could go back in time and change one thing about my innovation day project, I would improve the aesthetics, this is what I think was lacking in our project, especially after looking at the other groups, I saw that they had colorful and creative boards and sleds, our board was boring and there were no special designs along with the sled, so I would’ve liked to print designs to place on the sled and board. This year’s innovation day taught me a ton, I got more experience researching, writing, and doing creative work and problem solving such as creating the video and designing the sled. I also learned how to use basic building tools, and if there’s one thing I learned while building the sled, it’s that drilling screws is not as easy as it looks, and I would even spend upwards of 20 minutes trying to just get 1 screw into the wood! In the end, I got much better at learning the basics of drilling in nails, cutting PVC, measuring materials, and a bit of cutting wood. Throughout this project, I had to work a decent chunk of the project at home, because although our information was decently written, I wanted to go above and beyond and add more detail. I believe this made a heavy positive impact on our project. Overall, this year’s Innovation Day project was fun but challenging and it pushed me harder than any project has pushed me before, I am glad I put in the effort because it is always reflected in the end result.